How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob
Dealing with Mercedes-Benz key fob low battery? If the key fob is about to die, don’t fret! It’s just time for a key fob battery replacement! The team at Mercedes-Benz of Cincinnati can help with that with our handy guide on how to change the battery in a key fob. Feel free to contact our service center if you have any questions along the way. Don’t forget to check out our service specials to take advantage of before stopping by.
When is Mercedes-Benz Key Battery Replacement Needed?
There are warning signs that indicate there’s a need for a key fob battery replacement. These signs include:
- Your car becomes harder to start. If it takes several minutes to turn on or multiple tries to start, you may have a Mercedes-Benz key fob low battery.
- You can’t lock/unlock the doors or engage the panic alarm.
- Your dashboard displays a warning sign indicating a problem with the charging system.
If any of these Mercedes-Benz key fob low battery warning signs happen, it’s recommended to be proactive and change the key fob’s battery to avoid any issues on your Blue Ash drive.
Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Replacement: A Step-by-Step Guide
When you need to replace the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob, you can follow the easy steps we’ve provided below:
Determine Key Type – Check to see if you have a Chrome Keg or SmartKey®, as this will factor into changing the battery.
- Typically, older Mercedes-Benz models are paired with a SmartKey®. Unlike the Chrome Key, this is cased in plastic.
- If your Mercedes-Benz key fob is cased in metal, it’s a Chrome Key! To discover if your Chrome key is new or old, take a look at the panic button. Is it circular (old) or triangular (new)?
Choose the Right Batteries
- A SmartKey® requires two CR 2025 batteries, and the older Chrome Key does too.
- The newer Chrome Key only requires one.
SmartKey® Battery Replacement Steps – To change your SmartKey® battery:
- Pull the latch at the end of the key holder.
- Put your key horizontally into the open slot.
- Take the battery compartment out.
- Replace the existing CR 2025 batteries with two new ones.
Chrome Key Battery Replacement Steps – To change your Chrome Key battery:
- Pull on the tab at the bottom of the fob.
- Push the key into the narrow end of the slot to remove the cover.
- Then simply replace the battery with a new CR 2025.
Learn More About a Key Fob Battery Replacement Today!
If you have any questions along the way, don’t hesitate to contact our service center. Our factory-trained technicians know your vehicle inside and out, and we’re more than happy to walk you through the process.
More From Mercedes-Benz of Cincinnati
Our children are our future. This is why education, especially now, is more important than ever! Unfortunately, with dissipating state funding for public schools across Ohio, schools and teachers are often underfunded and under-supported, which is where support organizations like the Mariemont School Foundation (MSF) comes in! MSF is a 501c(3) organization established more than…
The fine arts are an extremely beneficial part of a child’s education, one that more often than not gets overlooked. The fine arts give kids a creative outlet that has a myriad of real world benefits as well! At Mercedes-Benz of Cincinnati, we believe that exposing students to art education is very important, which is…
Everyone should have the right to be who they are without prejudice. That’s something we hold very dear at Mercedes-Benz of Cincinnati, and why we were proud to sponsor the Human Rights Campaign Greater Cincinnati “Our Dinner” on March 19th. This dinner and fundraiser saw people from all over the greater Cincinnati area coming together…